DICKINSON AREA PUBLIC
The original planning of the Dickinson Free
Library was begun in 1908 by the first library board consisting of John
F. Davis, Dr. V. H. Stickney, Father Robstenick, R. H. Johnson and W. L.
Richards. This original board, now known as the Dickinson Library Association, wrote to
library with an
original gift estimate of $15,000, further reduced to $12,500. A library tax was submitted to
people of Dickinson
April 6, 1908 and passed by a vote of 576 to 140. Butler & Soules was
building contract for $9760 on October 29, 1908. W. S. Russell drew up the plans and specifications. On
September 10,1909, Josephine Hargrave was elected as the first librarian
at a salary of
per month. The library is located at the corner of 2nd Avenue West and 3rd Street. The
original book collection consisted of about 1000 volumes chiefly donated by the
Commercial Club, the public schools from the community and other
donations. The library was opened for circulation on Monday, January 3, 1910.
Original 1908 building
During the years 1910 and 1926, the library entertained various librarians who facilitated the library for short terms, lasting from 1 to 4 1/2 years. In 1926, Gertrude Voldal became the librarian dedicating herself for 36 years, retiring on April 5, 1962. In 1928 there were approximately 6700 volumes contained in the library. When Miss Voldal resigned in 1962, there were approximately 21,000 volumes housed in the library.
In April 1938, work began on the west wing addition - a WPA building project. The plans were drafted by L. W. Veigel. The project was completed in 1939. Open house for the public was held in March 1940. The cost of the new addition was $21,246.65; labor was furnished by the WPA and the cost of materials, approximately $7,900, was paid by the city. The new wing is 20 by 40 feet with a full basement. The main floor added to the adult space and the basement provided children's space. The original interior was also remodeled and redecorated with new floor covering and light fixtures in this remodel/addition project.
In 1956, the library interior was redecorated. There were approximately 19,000 volumes housed in the library at this time.
An east addition was constructed in 1975 for $224,541 adding 5500 square feet of space.
In 1986, the windows were replaced in the original building and WPA(west addition) along with the renovation of the existing basement meeting room.
To better serve our rural patrons, it was decided that some sort of mobile library was in order. In 1982 the Dickinson Eagles Aerie 2328 donated the first new bookmobile van. Rural area routes were established to Stark and Billings Counties.
A project Library Renovation phases I and II were completed during 1989-90 which included painting, carpeting, electrical work, refinishing the woodwork, restoring the dome and the leaded glass over the original entryway, replacing desks and history cabinets, landscaping, sidewalks, and drainage system replacement.
During 1997 the Library Board put together plans for expansion
to meet the
the area served. In March of
the City Commission gave approval for the schematic design phase of the project. Hulsing and
Associates were awarded the design development and construction phase of the project for
expansion and renovation of the present building. In addition, Michael Tabeling, an
In 1994, the new "PageCoach" bookmobile was acquired with funding from Billings and Stark Counties and large private corporate donations. The "PageCoach" travels to Stark, Billings and Slope counties being on the road 3 - 4 times a week.
In the summer of 1998, various city and county boards came
projects to be
sales tax revenues.
After years of planning and revising plans for expansion and renovation, the library determined that it would seek its own funding sources to supplement the foundation funds already accumulated. Bidding was opened for the various contracts and ground was broken in 2004 to expand and renovate at the current location. The addition adds 14,272 plus square feet of library space to the south of the present library building. The latest addition faced the challenge of replicating the 1908 building and unifying the previous additions into a 24,000 square foot building. The project was funded by the Dickinson Area Public Library Foundation which was established to handle bequests and private donations in 1992. No tax dollars were used for the building and renovation project. The City of Dickinson contributed the furnishings and equipment for the library throught the City Sales Tax. The original woodwork details and tin ceiling have been restored to retain the integrity and beauty of the original building. The library features two entrances with the historic entrance located at 139 3rd Street West. This entrance has the original cast stone steps; cast stone lettering above the door lists the date of construction "1908" and the original "PUBLIC LIBRARY" sign. The original leaded glass transom window is above the historic doors at the north entrance. The 1908 fireplace has been converted to gas logs. Stained glass windows and a glass birdcage style elevator give additional historic appeal to the library. At present, the library contains approximately 89,000 volumes. The new addition was finished and ready for occupancy in February 2006. In February 2007, library personnel made the move to the newly completed circulation desk, located on the renovated upper level. The Friends of the Library Garden Plaza entrance located on 2nd Avenue West is ground level and is accessible to the elevator. The beautifully landscaped plaza features inscribed brick pavers, cast stone benches, and trees purchased by donors. The "Grand Opening and Renovation Celebration" was held in September 2007 with remarks and tours of the new/renovated facility.
In the fall of 2009, the house and lot across the street to the north from the Library were purchased by the Library Foundation. A new and larger parking lot will be constructed on this plot. Demolition of the existing house was done in April 2010. Bidding and construction will take place in the fall 2010. The cost of the parking lot is funded by the Dickinson Area Public Library Foundation and the Friends of the Library.
Dickinson Area Public Library ~ 139 Third Street West